[Edu-sig] PDF geometry animations (ReportLab?) - and turtle module

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue May 19 04:42:27 CEST 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:

RE Bucky Fuller:

> Is anybody working on getting this material online and inviting the
> world to crawl it and create new stories? I know some people in
> Science Commons who would like to talk to you about such a thing. I
> suspect that there are people and organizations about who would like
> to fund such a project.

Yes Ed, thank you for asking.

SU has been pretty diligent in getting some of the materials on-line,
including a few videos and photographs.  I've not set foot in the
place yet, but judging from my tour of the Linus and Ava Pauling
special collection at OSU, it likely takes up lots of floorspace (do
they have the sliding shelves?).

Here's a screen shot of what the inner sanctum looks like, but you
have to create a login for yourself to actually see the video (Alan
Watts in this one):

http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2009/01/romp-in-archive.html  (SU video link)
http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2008/12/fuller-archive.html (another example)

Fuller made self documentation a core aspect of his life's work,
called it the "Guinea Pig B" experiment, B for Bucky of course.

He kept lots of trivia, like speeding tickets, details of his
relationships with his team, it goes on and on.

People with axes to grind or looking for dirt are among the first in
line, simply because they're motivated.  The idle grad student just
randomly thinking about topics is less likely to tackle such an
intimidating mountain of stuff.

However, it's important to not get sidetracked into thinking
everything under-valued and under-appreciated is behind closed doors
or awaiting a visit to the scanner.

In addition to the collection at Stanford, there's the Buckminster
Fuller Institute (BFI), for which I was first webmaster, colluding
with Kiyoshi Kuromiya on getting bfi.org registered / claimed.

For some of the state of the art PR put out by this Institute, check
this embedded YouTube in my blog.

http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2009/05/new-bfi-pr.html

Also, note the strong links from BFI back to Python (and PSF) given
I'm in the intersection of both:

http://bfi.org/bfi_community/pythonic_mathematics_talk_by_kirby_urner

(my embedded mplayer isn't doing much interesting with that London
Knowledge Lab video, me enroute to TSF meeting, then FWCC, YMMV).