[Edu-sig] Python

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 01:49:45 CEST 2009

Python seems a very non-controversial pick, plus there's student
leadership on this issue, i.e. if you allow a choice, see what
happens.  As Jeff points out, they don't seem to suffer, in aggregate,
for choosing the better language. :)  Actually, learning Python
provides great motivation for then tackling C-family system languages,
including Java.  That's how you get on python-dev after all.

What's up for grabs is what "computer science" has to mean, like how
much game playing we might get away with.

What's great about Python is it doesn't fall by the wayside like Alice
might, or Scratch, but it's not either/or.  Those two are for younger
aged kids.  You have your teddy bears, then you have your barbie
dolls.  Python is more barbie doll than teddy bear, i.e. just right
for high school aged scholars.  Then it keeps staying relevant.  They
come back and thank you later (according to reports).

My lobbying position vis-a-vis Oregon is in support an entirely new
four year track through the high school years, called DM in contrast
to CM or AM, for "continuous" or "analog" math.  They'd run in
parallel (these tracks), which means green field development for our
trials, while CM runs undisturbed, traditional precalc (including calc
if accelerated).

We'll have some calc too of course, lots of peer reviewed jabber on
math-teach. The D tends to mean "digital" BTW, getting away from
"discrete" as too weighed down with preconceptions already.

Given our demographic is music savvy, they understand the transition
from analog to digital in everyday life, to the point where nowadays
getting an analog turntable for vinyl records is considered charmingly
retro (I got us one for Christmas recently, listen to old Beatles and
U2 with my family).

Our goal is to have a lot of the "mathematics" of our day be
"charmingly retro" one day soon, as we wean off the calculators and
start using computer languages for real, including in government
schools and community centers for older workers and hobbyists.

We're focusing on FOSS because its free but also standard (easy to
grab and install, if you move to another school, no need to worry
about licensing if wanting to show off the Python you've learned to
your next set of math teachers).  I'll be doing a public talk on these
themes end of this much, at OS Bridge, Portland's newest open source
pow wow.  See some of you there maybe?

Kirby