[Edu-sig] PyBat ???

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 23:27:56 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 5:57 PM, David MacQuigg
<macquigg at ece.arizona.edu> wrote:
> The CS Dept is considering putting a bunch of courses online, using PHP as both the development language, and as a new language to teach students.  I've suggested using Python instead.  I need to put together a quick demo.  I'm thinking of something like javabat.com.
>
> I've used Mod_python (the Apache/Python integration), but I'm not yet proficient.  Now is the time to change course, if there is a better path.
>
> Students will be entering Python code snippets into a window, and we need to run the code on a bunch of test cases, giving immediate feedback on errors, and accumulating the students' scores and work-in-progress.  Running user code is a bit more of a challenge than running our code on user data, but javabat has inspired me.

Have a look at Crunchy (http://code.google.com/p/crunchy) and in
particular the doctest capability.  It does not (yet) have the ability
to add student scores but that could be added; otherwise, I believe it
would have what you need.

Crunchy's included tutorial may be useful "as is" as a demo for you;
there are also a few screencasts on showmedo.com.

Feel free to email me off-list with any questions about Crunchy.

André