[Edu-sig] Python 2.6.1 build problems

Charles Cossé ccosse at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 23:59:07 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Scott David Daniels
<Scott.Daniels at acm.org> wrote:
> Arana Fireheart wrote:
>>
>> ... The second and currently un-resolvable issue is that the build fails
>> to link in tkinter. I can't quite figure this one out, since I thought that
>> this was part of Python.
>>
>> Is there anyone out there that has figured out how to get this build to
>> finish? I've kinda run out of tricks!
>
> It is essential to have a Tcl/Tk development package installed before
> configuring Python.  I don't know enough about what packages you need
> for Ubuntu, but check into it; that may be the problem (than make clean
> ./configure, ....)

if you're building from source then check the configure options:
./configure --help and hopefully you can add a flag to configure
without Tcl/Tk/TkInter at all ...
ie ...

./configure --without-tk --without-tkinter

(something like that .... maybe)

-Charles

> --Scott David Daniels
> Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org