[Edu-sig] What Linux distro?

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Sun Apr 12 02:31:32 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 03:35:26PM -0400, Fahredd?n Basegmez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been developing a programmable scientific visualization
> tool/rapid game maker with wxPython for a while.  I recently released
> the first public beta version that works on windows only.  Now, I am
> going to start working on a Linux version very soon.  I have not
> decided which distro to use yet but leaning towards Ubuntu.  Could you
> give me some feedback?  What is the most popular distro in educational
> institutes/settings?

You may want to look into Edubuntu.  Perhaps it has features of
particular use for your needs:

    http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/edubuntu

And, yes, I love my Ubuntu GNU/Linux.  I'm using Ubuntu 8.10,
64-bit version and it's super.  I don't know what distribution
you'd be most likely to find in an education setting.  But, I
believe that what is more important to you is packaging your app
for installation on any Linux distro.

Since your app has a dependency on wxPython, you might want to look
at easy_install for packaging.  (or have you already done that
part?):

    http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall

I watched your video.  Your app looks super.  Great work.

- Dave

> You can download the application from www.mekanimo.net.
>
> Also I have a 5 min video at
> http://mekanimomedia.s3.amazonaws.com/tangram/Tangram.html
>
> If you try the application, I would appreciate your feedback about that too.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Fahri Basegmez

Dave Kuhlman
http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman