[Edu-sig] Mail features (was Re: Fwd: Do we "teach computers" when we write code?)

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Wed Apr 8 05:41:30 CEST 2009

In a message of Tue, 07 Apr 2009 16:06:26 PDT, kirby urner writes:
>>> Seems like you'd have to be able to pick out a list from all the
>>> others, which means persisting a list of lists, which may be more
>>> trouble than it's worth?
>>
>> You mean if the message is crossposted to multiple lists? Well then, I
>> just use Reply to All.
>>

>Oh I get it.  I didn't remember that mailing list is part of the
>header, and so it'd be unambiguous what 'Reply to List' really meant.
>I was thinking Gmail would somehow have to pick "just the list" out of
>the from: part of the header, where it might be mixed with any number
>of personal addresses.  Google already lets us filter on mailing list,
>so replying to it and only it makes sense as an option.  Good idea.
>
>Kirby

The other thing that makes sense as a command is 'absolutely, positively,
reply only to the from: address totally ignoring the reply-to: line'.
Then you can stop using the reply command altogether, unless you
communicate with people who want their email to be received in a different
account than the one where they are sending it from, and who are using
RFC 2822, as designed, to indicate where they want incoming mail to them
to go.  These people, and I used to be one of them, are a vanishing breed
now anyway, because enough reply-to: munging lists out there have left
them high and dry.

Does Google mail have one of those?

Laura