[Edu-sig] Webster Van Robot

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 12:30:11 CEST 2008

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Andre Roberge <andre.roberge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 11:29 AM, <ajudkis at verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> Steve,
>>
>> Neat idea, nice implementation!
>> I want to call everyone's attention to RUR-PLE, another  Karel successor
>> that the students control with actual Python.  I've used it quite
>> successfully for 3 or 4 years now, it provides a great wading pool for
>> trying out the basic concepts, and they get exposed to the real syntax from
>> the first day.
>>
>> Check it out at http://rur-ple.sourceforge.net/.
>>
>> And Andre, if you're reading this, my students still have a soft spot for
>> Reeborg, some of them were talking about him just yesterday.
>
> :-)
>
> Yes, I am still reading this. :-)
>
> While rur-ple is very usable in its current state (1.0 release candidate 3),
> there are still a few things left to clean up for the final 1.0 release.
> "Unfortunately", I have not had the energy to spend any time on it for well
> over a year.  I put "unfortunately" in quotation marks the lack of time
> spent on rur-ple has been caused in large parts by working on Crunchy.  And
> "one of these days", Crunchy will support an embedded world for Reeborg to
> move in.    Perhaps it will make use of Steve's Webster...

Well, it turned out to be easier (to get started) than I thought.  For
those interested,
I have adapted Steve's Webster so that
1. it uses Reeborg's images  (which I did send to Steve as well)
2. it has a color scheme inspired by rur-ple
3. it uses a *small* subset of Python's syntax.

For example, the following is a valid program:
for some_variable in range(4):
    move()
    turn_left()
    move()
    build_wall_on_left()

If you want a copy to play with, please send me an email off-list.

Cheers,

André