[Edu-sig] school physics/math courses

Andrew Harrington aharrin at luc.edu
Sun Oct 19 16:54:47 CEST 2008

Math for the Digital Age looks great for getting both discrete math concepts
and Python into a HS.  That is a very different emphasis than physical
sciences.  If you are specifically doing physics and other continuous math,
I would not recommend Math for the Digital Age.  It does not appear to cover
any concepts used by physical scientists, like vectors and speed.  I'm not
sure what would be a good Physics+Python intro.  There may be some
suggestion on the SciPy pages.

Andy

2008/10/16 michel paul <mpaul213 at gmail.com>

> This would be a great text for a high school math/CS class:  Math for the
> Digital Age <http://www.skylit.com/mathandpython.html>.
>
> - Michel
>

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 4:15 AM, roberto <roberto03 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> hello
>> (i am rather new in python ...)
>>
>> i am about to start a course of physics and math for students aged
>> 14-17 (high school)
>> and i am deeply interested in the possibilty of teaching fundamental
>> concepts of these subjects via teaching programming;
>> i chose python (i won't change my mind ...)
>>
>> so i am looking for resources on how to deal with these topics via
>> this great programming language;
>>
>> i need some help from you and moreover if you are aware of books
>> already covering these need
>>
>> thank you in advance
>> --
>> roberto