[Edu-sig] CP4E in a third world country

Miguel Turner dhagrow at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 17:26:07 CEST 2008

Hello to all,

I'm posting here because I am planning on teaching a programming class
to kids in a small town in Honduras. I am a Peace Corps volunteer
currently living in a town of about 2,500 people. I studied CS in
college and originally joined the Peace Corps when I learned that they
have been seeking volunteers with technical backgrounds for some years
now in order to develop the use of technology in third world countries.
Needless to say, I am facing a number of challenges and I thought it
would be helpful to seek out some advice, and maybe see if there was
anyone who has been or is in a similar situation.

I've been a huge fan of Python since I taught it to myself over 3 years
ago, and I've used it often, since. I enjoy working in C and Assembly,
but Python was like a breath of fresh air. So, I'm already sold on the
idea of Python as a first language and basically everything about CP4E.
I recently read John Miller's excellent dissertation on computer
literacy, which is what motivated me to post here.

The colegio (middle/high school) in my town has maybe 150 students, and
8 working, donated computers. There is currently a computer teacher who
gives very basic lessons in Windows and Microsoft Office to the 20 or so
high schoolers. The town has 1 public internet connection at an internet
cafe with 3 computers and a satellite dish. Very few families have
personal computers and far fewer can afford to connect to the internet
via mobile phone, which is the cheapest option available. In short,
there is very little exposure to computers here. It is not unusual to
find kids who struggle with using a mouse. But there are also some kids
who like to spend their time at the internet cafe chatting and
downloading music to their cellphones (plenty of those here).

The lack of computers and internet is the first challenge, though not
one I can do much about. Another is language. I speak Spanish well
enough, though I do anticipate difficulties when trying to explain
programming concepts in ways that make sense in this culture. There is
also the fact that most documentation, code, and the language itself,
are all in English. I'm aware of some books that have been translated,
but I'm mainly concerned with how frustrating it will be for the
students to debug their programs when all of the error messages are in
English.

Another major challenge is the educational system, and indeed, the
educational culture here. It's a bit complicated, so I will just say
that only about 8% of kids make it through high school and most of those
will graduate without ever seeing algebra. The worst of it is that it's
hard to find people who actually want to learn, or even think. When I
showed the computer teacher here Guido van Robot she said, "doesn't all
that thinking make your head hurt?" This is reflected in the lack of
self-confidence a lot of the kids have that they're smart enough to
learn difficult things. It's very frustrating, but it makes me think
that a programming course would be all the more worthwhile, assuming I
can get past enough of that sort of thinking to get started.

Practicality is also very important here. Given that, and the generally
low level of education, I am interested in integrating other subjects
into the class, such as algebra, reading material, and whatever I can
include that might be more directly related to local life. I don't
intend programming to be an end, so much as the means to an end.

I have considered, in some depth, using another method for teaching
programming, such as Alice or Guido van Robot. Perhaps in another post I
can give my reasons for deciding against those and going with Python.
I've looked at the OLPC project too, but, unfortunately, it doesn't look
like that will be making it to Honduras for a while.

My biggest concern, it must be said, is that I have no real teaching
experience - I'm a programmer. I'm sure I can muddle through until I can
get the hang of it, but given all the other challenges I have to face,
I'm not sure the kids (or the teachers) will have the patience to stick
with me until I do. So, I'd appreciate recommendations for good teaching
resources, as well.

I could say much more, but I only wanted to introduce myself. Hopefully
someone can give me some idea how far up the creek I am, though I'd be
happy to hear comments on anything that I've brought up. I'm open to
criticism as well, if anyone has any compelling reasons for why this
might not be a good idea. I know most, or all, of these kids will never
become programmers, but that's not the point, is it?

Thanks for reading,
Miguel Turner