[Edu-sig] More preaching to the choir...

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 07:54:57 CET 2008

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 4:41 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, not that hard, agreed.  I think we're in the right headspace, here on
> edu-sig, re teaching physics / math and so on with all this well known
> content, plus adding more experimental fun around the edges, ala programming
> just for the fun of it (ab attitude we highly encourage).
>
> Given how OO makes "objects" so concrete (per Concrete Mathematics) it's not
> so unrealistic to suggest adding some quaternions to the mix, just one more
> animal in our zoomorphic kingdom (or queendom, not pretending to know).

Well, once you get to that point, you can easily add octonions,
spinors, tensors, operators, crystallographic groups, and quantum
groups. ^_^

However, I have started a project at EduForge.org that I call
Kindergarten Calculus, to approach the issues from the opposite
direction. The question is how to demonstrate the fundamental concepts
of calculus visually to preschool children with no numbers and no
symbols. Limits, tangents, maxima and minima, definite integrals (area
under a curve), and other materials.  I know how to start, but not how
far we can go. I can certainly show the Fundamental Theorem of
Calculus and the Mean Value Theorems. There are some simple cases of
Calculus of Variations that have physics equivalents. We have to think
about what has an algorithmic equivalent that we can program visually.

Anyone interested is welcome to join the project.

> Given XO is hardware with access to the cloud (by design) it's unnecessary
> to map curriculum to it or any other hardware device, as this isn't about
> hardware in the first place, but curriculum, and there's so much already out
> there, much of it very pre-computer in flavor, yet nevertheless relevant,
> Hamilton's brief included, Kepler's and so on.

I would like to factor each of those lessons into concepts that can be
taught at different ages, and to introduce them in sequence at the
appropriate ages. This should produce much deeper understanding than
waiting until students are supposed to be able to do it all at once.
Thus Galilean gravity in a uniform field can be demonstrated via
programming to third graders, while full Newtonian gravity requires
calculus.

Give One, Get One, from Nov. 17
http://www.amazon.com/xo
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Giving/International