[Edu-sig] manifesto

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 05:08:33 CEST 2008

2008/3/30 michel paul <mpaul213 at gmail.com>:
> My dept chair finally agreed to let me have an hour to present Python to the
> math dept during our staff development day last Friday.  I knew that an hour
> wouldn't be enough, so I wrote a manifesto  : )  which is attached.

Good work, seems to me.  Bravo!

Your invitation to preload Python seems strategic.

I'll risk adding VPython when it's just me projecting,
but that's a lot to asks of people skeptical of the whole
idea of computers, still stuck in that "calculators rule!"
mindset.

It's easy to turn VPython into an XY plotter (even if Z
axis is always implicit), for showing parabolas, other
polynomials, any types with a sensible self.draw()
method.

Anyway, it helps to know I'm not the only gnu math
teacher out there. I wish you success in recruiting more
talent into our ranks. :-D