[Edu-sig] Introducing Python to Engineering Students

David MacQuigg macquigg at ece.arizona.edu
Thu Mar 13 23:46:28 CET 2008

At 01:16 PM 3/13/2008 -0700, Warren wrote:

>David,
>
>There is a known problem with Pygame and IDLE.  (Something about IDLE not running the program in a separate process.)  If you just run the program form a command window, or use a different editor (like SPE) you wouldn't see that problem about closing the window.

Well, it's probably not the TKinter "dueling event loops" problem. (PyGame doesn't use TKinter for its own event loop.)  But I do see an FAQ at http://www.pygame.org/wiki/search.php?query=IDLE and the proposed solution is to make sure there is always a call to pygame.quit().  The example in the FAQ doesn't work, but I see what they are trying to do.  Here is how I would write the final loop:
while True:
    event = pygame.event.wait()
    if event.type == pygame.QUIT:
        break
    if event.type == pygame.MOUSEBUTTONDOWN:
        print "Enter new data"

pygame.quit()
Now there is no problem running from IDLE.

>Changing the program so it updates as the calculation is ongoing is certainly possible.

I'll play around with this some more.  I'm very pleased with the documentation on PyGame.  Without knowing anything about the program, I was able to find the functions and event types used in the snippet above.

Many thanks for your help.

-- Dave