[Edu-sig] IDE for GUI development in Python

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Thu Aug 14 23:43:05 CEST 2008

On Tue Aug 12 08:10:16 CEST 2008, Matt K wrote:

> *Massimo, QT* - I have the same comment as I gave to Winston, above. Do you
> have any sample code from students who have written a relatively simplistic
> GUI?

In theory, it should be possible for students to grasp the kind of event-
based programming you see with GUIs. Something I've wanted to do is to
take the content of this talk and make it more tutorial-like:

http://indico.cern.ch/contributionDisplay.py?contribId=33&sessionId=41&confId=44

These days, with a good interactive environment, the code snippets given in
the talk are basically usable in the form in which they are presented.
(Recent versions of PyQt4 can run the event loop in the interactive Python
shell, for example, so the process of creating and showing windows is more
or less interactive.)

> *David* - I appreciate your comments re: BlackAdder and Qt. And my
> reservation with Tk is not the typing... its that the students will not
> understand the code that they are typing sufficiently well to be able to
> modify it.

BlackAdder is very old now, and PyQt users typically prefer Eric3, Eric4
or something like Sandbox:

http://www.qtrac.eu/sandbox.html

David