[Edu-sig] python for kids...

Michelle Friend Hutton mfh at pobox.com
Fri Oct 12 18:48:37 CEST 2007

I've only glanced at the book, but I love the writing style - a huge
problem I have is in finding books appropriate for younger students.
Regular books like Python Programming for Absolute Beginners are
accessible for high schoolers but not younger, in my experience.

I agree with the goals of not watering down Python AND getting
graphics in as soon as possible. I have had a similar experience to
Dethe with my students - they are simply not compelled by "Hello
World" and similar text-based approaches. We need graphics as soon as
possible to keep the reluctant programmers interested.

I believe there's a lightweight good-for-teaching interface for
pygame called livewires. It is used in the PPfAB book.

One question is the goal - are we trying to inspire kids to love
programming, trying to indoctrinate them into the world of open
source, trying to teach some basic computer science concepts, trying
to make them good digitial citizens of the 21st century... the
approach depends on the kids and on the goal.

--Michelle