[Edu-sig] python for kids...

Andrew Harrington anharrington at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 17:31:40 CEST 2007

Very engaging book, Jason!

I agree that earlier Turtles would be nice.

I also like the idea of using Idle, but your agnostic approach is certainly
a choice.  I would encourage saving program files earlier.  particularly if
they make neat Turtle designs, it would be nice to save the code!  Idle
makes that easy.  You can see my approach to Idle in my tutorial (aimed more
at high school and older).
http://cs.luc.edu/anh/python/hands-on

I also use John Zelle's idea of how to start Idle in a directory where you
have your files.

Andy Harrington

On 10/10/07, Jason R Briggs <jasonrbriggs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I'm hoping to get some feedback (flameback?) for a book I've been
> working on (on and off for the last year or so), endeavouring to teach
> Python to kids (8-12).  It's not perfect (by any stretch of the
> imagination), since it hasn't had a professional edit -- nor have I
> given it the requisite 6 month or so cooling down period to go back and
> hack out large chunks of dross with a bit of
> "what-the-hell-was-I-thinking" objectivity.  But I'm hoping some may
> find it useful, and over time I might get enough feedback to tidy it up
> a bit.
>
> Anyway, the download link can be found on this page:
> http://www.briggs.net.nz/log/writing/snake-wrangling-for-kids/
>
> And a bit of background reading as to why I even bothered can be found
> here, if at all interested:
> http://www.briggs.net.nz/log/category/swfk/
>
> Any commentary would be useful, and attribution will, of course, be given.
>
> Jason

Andrew N. Harrington
  Director of Academic Programs
  Computer Science Department