[Edu-sig] More CP4E News

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 17:14:33 CEST 2007

On 6/15/07, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I think has happened is CS has shed its skin as a wannabe
> staid math, has proved its points, in terms of utility, sophistication,
> future etc., and now can afford any pretense at trying to be
> pretentious.  The readership is there, already impressed and ready

"can afford to lose..." I should have said.

In other words, we *don't* want a purely lexical approach where we do like
those old math books and just go theorem, proof, remarks, definitions,
theorem, sardonic remark, proof, corollary, small figure, definitions, more
weird notation, theorem, proof.  Index.

We're planning to get way more right brained about all this, in part because
we're moving away from static text to more animated and interactive
interfaces.  Like the DoD does, in training its recruits (sometimes using
Python as a glue language, like we saw at Pycon that time (West Point grads
train in a modified Unreal Tournament engine simulating needing to know how
to speak Iraqi politely or die, with a voice recognizer ala Dragon's a part
of the VR apparatus)).