[Edu-sig] edu-dinner

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Feb 20 05:57:33 CET 2007

Jeff Rush wrote:
> Ian Bicking wrote:
>> Michael Tobis wrote:
>>> I just talked to the Marriott; they are perfectly OK doing room
>>> service into the Preston Trail II room. One of us staying at the
>>> hotel can collect cash from all interested and put it on a credit
>>> card. I am willing to do this.
>>>
>>> So I suggest we combine dinner and our meeting in the Preston Room
>>> Saturday Night
>>>
>>> They are also sending me a banquet menu and I'll look into it, but I
>>> think it would be easier with room service for everyone to get what
>>> they want.
>>
>> Room service seems expensive.  Last year they were really relaxed
>> about using the space (e.g., people brought in some six packs and hung
>> out until after midnight).  Maybe we could get delivery from someplace
>> local?  (If so, maybe we can get a recommendation from someone in the
>> area.)
>
> You can find the hotel's bar (subset of restaurant) menu (last year's
> prices) at:
>
>   http://us.pycon.org/Addison/HotelFood-Bar
>
> There will be a 8.25% sales tax and a 22% service charge, I'm pretty sure.

Those prices aren't too bad.

> The hotel insists on doing all the catering themselves.  But if people
> want to get take-out and bring it back, we expect that might be fine.

Yeah; it wouldn't be the conference organizing any of it, just some
individuals.  I think people got pizza delivered last year, if I
remember correctly.  There's nothing to cater really -- this isn't a
formal event with a head count or anything.

> There is also a cool restaurant down the street from the hotel, called
> the Magic Time Machine.
>
>   http://magictimemachine.com/
>
> Their menu is online and they can take reservations, but you'll need an
> accurate headcount, which is a problem with BoFs.  Having the hotel
> cater is definitely the less work approach albeit more expensive.  Also
> having it in the hotel means you can listen to edu talks while eating -
> not possible in a restaurant.

I would like having it at the hotel.

> I wonder what would happen if individually people went to the bar,
> ordered their food to go and showed up in Preston Trail to eat it.

Would they mind us carrying plates around?  I don't know.  Probably if
we told them where we were taking them they wouldn't care too much.  But
if we can organize takeout or delivery that would be great.