[Edu-sig] Using objects early was Procedural front end

Andy Judkis ajudkis at verizon.net
Thu Feb 8 12:23:58 CET 2007

Kirby, in recent posts you made two claims:

>That was a paradigm shift as well and part
>of a longer story that, in my experience, students enjoy hearing, find
>edifying.

and:

>I have aimed to show there are easy ways to introduce OOP early, using
>Python syntax as a guide, that don't require great feats of mental effort
>on the part of students.  My Dog and Monkey show is quite accessible
>to average 8th graders in public school as I've proved in the field.

and I was wondering if you would be willing to support them.  How do
you assess whether or not your students comprehend the material at a level
that you consider satisfactory?  Anything formal, or just your feeling?
What
proportion of your kids need to get it for you to be satisfied?  The reason
I ask is because my 10th graders are well above average but it's quite clear
to me that there's -no way- that they can get the material you describe in
the
time period you are talking about in any useful way.

Thanks,
Andy