[Edu-sig] Scratch interface for Python, and network programming games.

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 19:29:37 CEST 2007

It's interesting you mention roomba in the same posting.

I had the same idea, and ithe game I have in mind is explicitly about
virtual roombas!

We would provide a virtual world in which different colored vaccum
cleaners could suck up dirt off a virtual carpet or bonk each other
off course. Each player would control a few disks (e.g., I have 3 red
roombas and you have 3 green ones); many variations of the world
physics and game rules are possible. The players would provide
strategy code for their roombas; we would provide world physics. A
fast moving disk would pick up a smaller percentage of the available
dirt but be better at deflecting opposing disks. Whichever team had
picked up the most dirt within, say, a minute, would win.

I am also thrilled by the idea of Scratch in Python, but this brings
us up against the limitations of the web. The fact that Scratch apps
can be shared on the web is a crucial advantage. Could Python Scratch
be targeted to Jython to provide sharability?

mt