[Edu-sig] Web based Matlab-like software

Yusdi Santoso yusdi at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 11 22:30:52 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I have developed a web interface for the Matplotlib library in my spare
time. I was inspired (or frustrated rather..) to develop it when I was
encountering a lot of license error with the Matlab server in my university.

It is intended to be a free alternative to Matlab especially geared for
teaching mathematics and scientific programming. Obviously it is not as
complete as Matlab or other more mature scientific programming environments
(R, Maple, Mathematica to name a few), however it comes with several unique
benefits:
* Zero client side installation. This is an advantage for computer
lab/classroom setup where IT administration budget is limited. You just need
reasonably recent browser which supports AJAX (IE6+, Mozilla 1.5+)
* Online file storage. All of the user files are stored on the server and
can be manipulated and edited online.
* And it is free

You can find an early release at the following URL:
http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/users/santoso/Software.WebLab.html

At this stage it is working but with some issues (which will need some
serious thinking...).
I would be grateful for any suggestion/comments. What I would love to do is
to engage some educators to use and push this to be something more mature.

I realize this mailing list is rather quiet, hopefully this email can spark
some interests.
Thanks again,

Yusdi