[Edu-sig] RSA pre college?

Kevin Driscoll driscollkevin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 21:38:47 CEST 2006

I love teaching modulo!  There are countless ways to create
exploratory learning opportunities in which students discover the need
for modulo.  And once a student starts programming, modulo really
starts to feel like the lost operator.

This is a situation in which programming yields a new perspective on
mathematics.  In the same way that we learn the inadequacy of doubles
for representing non-terminating decimal values, the modulo gives new
depth to the usefulness of division.

Most students in the US remember doing division with a remainder ("R =
").  I've employed their nostalgia and sense of mastery over this
procedure to help them step into modulo.

Kevin