[Edu-sig] Python-powered Fab labs the next big thing?

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Thu Sep 28 16:18:44 CEST 2006

Hi Paul,

Thanks for pointing out the article, I hadn't seen that one.  The Fab
Labs have also been featured in Make Magazine, Wired, the Economist,
Business Week and Science Friday and Neil Gershenfeld has a book out
on them:

http://www.amazon.ca/FAB-Revolution-Desktop-Computers-Fabrication/dp/
0465027458/sr=1-11/qid=1159452431/ref=sr_1_11/701-4538240-5689161?
ie=UTF8&s=books

Also, the 2002 class "How to Make (almost) Anything" is available
under MIT's Open Courseware program:
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Media-Arts-and-Sciences/MAS-863How-to-Make--
Almost--AnythingFall2002/CourseHome/

The FAQ has some good links: http://fab.cba.mit.edu/forum/faq1.htm

There is now a Fab Central page at the MIT Center for Bits and Atoms:
http://fab.cba.mit.edu/, and the tools page lists software resources,
many in Python.

There is a ton of info out there.  The estimated cost of a new Fab
Lab is $25,000 USD.  I'm hoping my new job will at some point sponsor
one, or at least provide space for one.  Open source desktop
manufacturing is on its way.

--Dethe