[Edu-sig] creating an interface vs. using one

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 18:35:13 CEST 2006

> Here I'd part company a bit and point out that "algebra" is not so
> nailed down as a namespace that we can't consider "def" and "return"
> excluded.

Got ensnared in my own double-negative, but I think you get my point:
just look at J (don't show your chairperson though, too scary) -- a
math notation, pure and simple, with a proud heritage as a chalkboard
notation at one point (alluding to the APL lineage), but now fully
mature, fully machine executable.

I'm really glad that you're seeing TIs as the bottleneck.  Texas
Instruments has single-handedly set math education back a decade,
giving other countries a really good opportunity to pass us by.  I'm
confidant we'll be using more Python than TIs in Algebra City, as the
dust settles and the universities get new toys.