[Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000

Peter Bowyer peter at mapledesign.co.uk
Wed Sep 13 10:16:30 CEST 2006

[send this to Kirby rather than the list...]

At 22:27 08/09/2006, Kirby Urner wrote:
>Just to clarify:  I think it *is* condescending to newbies to force
>them through a lot of raw_input scripts, since this is:

I felt exactly the same when I took the introductory programming
course for scientists.  DOS prompts with odd calculations popping up
(this was using C).  Looking back, the problem wasn't the raw_input
style, but because *there was no progression*.  The teaching material
did not link everything together so that at the end of the 10 week
course you had a large application which you'd built on every
week.  Instead you had a pile of useless scripts all totally separate
giving no idea that software you could write might be useful rather
than just boring.

Peter

--
Maple Design - quality web design and programming
http://www.mapledesign.co.uk