[Edu-sig] simple guessing games

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Mon Sep 11 15:02:34 CEST 2006

Arthur wrote:

>a) One of design features of the programming language named after a
>comedy troup, not a reptile, that it seems to me is of  fundamental
>significance to tis success is its willingness to be outward facing, not
>inward - its willingness to leverage the use of  generally accepted and
>commonly used idioms, not be overly clever, i.e be a public language,
>not a private language.

FWIW, I also happen to think that the passion around the @decorator
debate centered around this issue - many people feeling that the
facility had the potential of redirecting Python inward.  I still cringe
a bit when contemplating lots of @'s in the standard library of Python3000.

And FWIW, it seems that it seeems to me that sys.stdin.readline() is
more public facing than is raw_input(), and I think my gut preference
for it is on that basis.

All said at the risk of having my own private conversation.