[Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 19:06:52 CEST 2006

On 9/9/06, Brad Miller <bmiller at luther.edu> wrote:

> In my world I get first year college students that want to major in computer
> science that have zero experience with programming.   We get good bright
> young students from small towns and small schools.  They don't have Saturday
> Academy.  They don't even have computer classes to take in their high
> schools.  If they do, computer class is about how to use Word and Excel.
> Unfortunately, In this world having strings and xml and modules be common
> knowledge isn't going to happen anytime soon.
>
> Brad

RIght, in your model, we will have another generation or two of
wallowing, before high schools in rural areas either disband (why keep
'em if they're so crummy) or get with it.  It'll be easy for college
professors to assume a "know nothing" clientelle and get away with
that.

However, my model of South Africa is different.  We have Kusasa, with
curriculum maps, high level screencasting and mathcasting, some of the
content made right here in Portland.  We get to the rural areas, with
jeep-loads of DVDs (if the cell net isn't working).  NGOs are working
alongside us.  Every kid will know OO by age 18, know Python.

Of course that's just a model (mine), not the reality.  But that's the
direction we're moving in.  But in the USA it's:  we're this backward
ignorant country and are likely to stay this way for at least another
generation.  My school's answer:  fight me then, because we're about
changing all that here too (but if not, then at least South Africa
isn't a lost cause).