[Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 18:41:38 CEST 2006

On 9/8/06, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:

> I don't understand your strong reaction.  OK -- saying "if Python 3k
> takes away input() then I'm going to use Ruby" is pretty lame and will
> keep an opinion from being taken seriously.  But all Doug was talking
> about was registering the opinion of people on edu-sig, who are not on
> the py-dev, and who care about these functions where most everyone else
> is merely indifferent.  There's no formal process one way or the other;
> all you can do is register your opinion, there's no vote, it's not a
> democracy, but that doesn't mean that participation doesn't matter.
>
> --
> Ian Bicking | ianb at colorstudy.com | http://blog.ianbicking.org

We have PEPs, forums for debating them, venues in which it's the job
of professionals to pay attention.  What is someone to make of a
"petition" showing up in an inbox, somehow stamped was belonging to
Edu-Sig, which is native Python infrastructure.  What's it supposed to
mean?  "Take me seriously just because I'm a Python SIG?"  Why?

If someone wants to circulate a petition, fine, but don't drag edu-sig
into it, is my attitude.  That's not what edu-sig is about.  It's not
a political forum for teachers who are too lazy or otherwise
preoccupied, to avoid doing their homework as to how Python's
development process is already managed.

Do people send petitions to Linus Torvalds about what they'd like in
the kernel?  Maybe they do.  Sounds pretty lame to me if they do.

I would hate to see edu-sig debased into some spectator group that
sees its mission as kibbitzing about Python 3000, second guessing what
the core language developers are up to.  That'd just kill the worth of
this group to me.  I'd hate too see so much good work destroyed by
politicians.