[Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000

dblank at brynmawr.edu dblank at brynmawr.edu
Fri Sep 8 05:08:37 CEST 2006

> I think the professors are very wrong here.

This isn't about "I'm right; you're wrong"; it's about making a decsion
that can effect the way that *others* want to use Python. Removing input()
FORCES people to have to address import, streams, dot notation, functions,
and strings.

The whole point of keeping input() is to give the teachers a choice to do
interesting things without introducing (in their mind) unnecessary topics
or syntax.

Personally, I have to address import fairly early for other reasons, and
have never really used input(). But I don't want to make John Zelle teach
the way that I do. In fact, I might want to leave some flexibility for me
to adapt in the future. (Just this year, we are teaching Python in our
intro courses at Bryn Mawr College, and so is Swarthmore College,
Haverford College, and several other colleagues have picked it up. Python
is on the move!)

Java gives us no choice at all. Talk about "there's one way to do it." You
must deal with too much stuff to make the computer do something, anything.

I'll revise the letter to include some of the other points, especially
those points that make input() BETTER than it is. Revision later...

-Doug