[Edu-sig] OLPC (was FYI: PataPata postmortem link)

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Wed Nov 29 16:41:01 CET 2006

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>On Nov 29, 2006, at 16:06 , Tom Hoffman wrote:
>

>>I would point out that writing educational software for people who
>>don't have computers isn't very useful either, and that once kids have
>>computers (on a common, free platform) there's a lot more incentive to
>>write educational software for them.
>>

>Exactly my reasoning - OLPC is going to be a common, free platform,
>so it should be plenty of incentive. Yet, little is happening.

Two points:

One from Paul Fernhout, who just spent months on trying to make
something happen:

1)

"""
Over the years, what I have discovered about "educational software" is
that most of it is junk, and the really useful things to connect kids
with are the open-ended packages which provide an avenue for their
creativity and sense of mastery over aspects of the real or digital
world -- so, for example, learning to write with a word processor is
much better than playing some silly flash-words game, and using
Photoshop or the GIMP is probably much better than using some silly
math-blaster game or even the award winning Oregon Trail (which is
pretty good as those things go).
"""

2)

What is happening is what is happening.  And if the platform is indeed
open enough, the official OLPC hierarchy is not relevenat.  What belongs
on the machines will find its way onto the machines.  The best thing
that the hierarchy can do is leave enough room.

If I were going to contribute,  I am all for  help in an understanding
of the memory constraints in which I need to work.

My philosophy of rewards and punishment is nobody's business.

I am not a child.