[Edu-sig] experiences teaching Python with turtle graphics?

Ernesto Costa ernesto at dei.uc.pt
Fri Nov 17 15:07:42 CET 2006

Hi,

I used xturtle in a CS1 course for students with little  or no
previous knowledge about programming. Of course they are not kids and
so I use it just to illustrate some simple programming concepts. It
is a nice tool but be prepared for some limitations (IMHO). In
particular if you are thinking  about applications where you have to
input data it is just impossible (at least I could not find a way of
doing it from the manual). Anyway you can do nice things with the
onClick() and onKey() methods.

Concerning books what I've done is to rely on the old, but very good
book, by Abelson and diSessa "Turtle Geometry" (MIT Press) and
translate the logo code to Python.

There are other old books on Logo, including some with nice small
programs, that you can also convert to Python.

Returning to the question of a "good" module about graphics. I'm
using Zohn Zelle's book for my course. It has a interesting and
simple to use graphics module. It would be nice if that module could
be "merged" with xturtle i.e to incorporate a turtle class that use
the graphics canvas :-)!

Ernesto Costa