[Edu-sig] Refocusing on Capabilities (was PySqueak)

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Sat May 27 00:26:59 CEST 2006

kirby urner wrote:
> On 5/26/06, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
>
>> I think there's two issues: classes and inheritance.  I don't think
>> inheritance is a particularly respected structure in Python.
>

> ???

Inheritance as an abstraction used for communication.  In other words,
giving someone a class and telling them to subclass it.  Also, paying
attention to the class hierarchy when consuming objects is discouraged.
  Actually, paying any attention to the class when consuming an object
is discouraged.

>> Inheritance is a sometimes useful implementation technique.  I think
>> it's wrong to think of it as more than that.  Probably we need better
>> support for some other competing techniques.
>

> Composition is a commonly used competing technique.  Then of course
> we're free to just write functions, outside of any class.

Yes, that works great ;)