[Edu-sig] Accessibility to non CS types?

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Fri May 26 22:03:07 CEST 2006

kirby urner wrote:
> Now they open a tutorial or book on such as Python, and immediately
> feel lost.  There's a lot of new jargon, and not many references to
> languages they already know.  Where is "Python for Pascal
> programmers"?

As in my longer email previous, I think part of the answer is in better
tools and libraries, and that is why HyperCard, VB, or Delphi became
popular. While TK is nice, not having a good generally purpose default GUI
development system with the power of, say, Hypercard that everyone points
to as a no-brainer for any beginner to use is a weakness from a beginner
standpoint IMHO.

I think Self leads the way here in generality with one inspector that can
be used to build GUIs, programs, or just sets of objects. And here is an
attempt to bring that ease of use to Python, building on ideas from Self
(and Squeak): :-)
http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/patapata/trunk/PataPata/PataPata.py?view=log
Doesn't succeed yet perhaps in making that beginner friendly, but a start.
(PythonCard is much better choice for current work though.)

--Paul Fernhout