[Edu-sig] PySqueak: Which 3D package should I use?

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sat May 13 22:12:43 CEST 2006

Tom-

Thanks.
   apt-get install python-soya python-soya-doc
just worked for me.

Pulled in a bunch of stuff, but a few warnings though.
Several FutureWarning but look OK.
A few SyntaxWarning too. My default python is 2.3 so maybe that is it.
"/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/soya/pudding/test.py:42: SyntaxWarning:
import * only allowed at module level
   def test(debug = False):"

Having some problems with tutorial windows locking up, like:
   http://home.gna.org/oomadness/en/soya_tuto/tutomodeling-1.html
(which I paste into a Python prompt. :-)
I can get a pyramid but the OpenGL window won't close, and I have to get
out of Python (seems to tie up Gnome too, maybe their idle loop is using
too much CPU? Pegs my system at 100%.).  Seems like it will take some
understanding (maybe that's what it is supposed to do?) So, not quite a
painless out of the box experience -- not to say it is not worth using,
just a datapoint on first few minutes difficulties and confusions.

Still, I'm starting to lean to just using OpenGL under wx as a starter.
I'm thinking that may have the least install problems for proof of concept
stuff.

[BTW, in the 2D realm under wx, I'm up to P.O.C. #12, with menus to add
and remove morphs and tell them to do things.]

Thanks again for the pointer.

--Paul Fernhout