[Edu-sig] Setting a variable's value

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Thu May 11 15:50:45 CEST 2006

I also teach Python in that age range and I've seen the same confusion,
so I know what you mean. OTOH, I wonder if it's worth a change in the
language to delay facing the fact that code is not algebra.

It's always seemed to me that once they get the idea that code doesn't
necessarily follow the rules of algebra (which it doesn't in many ways)
the symbol isn't such a big deal.

And maybe it's all of that Pascal (and Delphi) code still giving me
nightmares, but reviving ":=" gives me the willies... :)

JMHO,
Vern

Winston Wolff wrote:
> I'm considering a proposal for Python 3000 and want to get some other
> opinions.  I propose adding an alternative syntax for assigning a
> value to a variable so that the Python statement:
> 	a = 1
> could also be written:
> 	a := 1
> The reason is to help students who are familiar with the Algebraic
> meaning of "a = 1" (a is always equal to one) and get confused when
> the Python meaning of "a = 1" (put the value of one into the variable
> a).
>
> I teach middle and high-school students who are learning Algebra at
> the same time as Python, and it is very confusing to them when the
> same symbols mean two subtly different things.  I would propose that
> the second syntax (a := 1), be available so that I could introduce
> that in the first semester course.  Later, once they understood the
> meaning of "a := 1", they could switch the shorter syntax "a = 1".
>
> Any opinions?
>
> -Winston

This time for sure!
    -Bullwinkle J. Moose