[Edu-sig] Setting a variable's value

Andrew Harrington aharrin at luc.edu
Thu May 11 15:40:27 CEST 2006

Winston,
I like the pedogogy for a math teacher.  I think I could even see it in
a regular Python course for maybe the first day.

I don't think it could be misinterpreted by interpreter or human.

I would suggest including in the proposal an optional directive that
would force the use of :=  like we have now for // and /.

The question comes, then what about equality testing?

Going to single = from double = would never fly, but I guess giving a
meaning to unusual symbols like := and == is much less confusing than a
nonstandard (mathematically) use of =.

Andy