[Edu-sig] Don't kids program anymore?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon May 1 06:28:28 CEST 2006

> Interesting indeed. In addition to John's interesting concern, there
> is also the practical issue of how would you prevent someone from
> solving the same problem over and over again, repeating the same work
> for a different dollar?

Well, it's worth something to get each kid literate, so the rewards
begin.  I'm not talking money necessarily.  We give "credits" even
today, e.g. a pass on to the next reading, more interesting
challenges.

The point is it doesn't matter if the same reading is mastered over
and over, as each time, the reader is different.

> That's not what I meant though. I meant that solving problems is
> intrinsically rewarding. Look at Sudoku, about as visually dull a
> prospect as imaginable, and yet providing a systematic set of
> increasingly difficult problems. Many people spend considerable time
> on it. It's not the decorations and the sound effects, it's the
> problem solving and skill building itself that is what makes a game,
> especially a solitaire game, attractive. People do like to learn.
>
> mt

Yes, I agree these pleasant intellectual rewards exist.  However, to
be productive, students need better access to tools of the trade, and
so, as they distinguish themselves, their credit towards various
assets will increase.  Study biology real hard, and it's more likely
your village laboratory will get another microscope for you to use.