[Edu-sig] Rapunsel, Rapunsel

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Mar 31 16:49:35 CEST 2006

Or this project?

http://weblogs.media.mit.edu/llk/scratch/

> >I saw Mary talk today and her work is quite impressive.
> >It's still being researched...

It is difficult - *for me* -  to understand what "researched" means in the
context a project whose goals are stated in the form of a Manifesto.

Give me an old fashioned unfunded manifesto, like Breton's

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/courses/Jbutler/T340/SurManifesto/ManifestoOfSurrealis
m.htm

>> wouldn't it be wonderful if
> >they moved away from java and towards a more youthful,
> >dynamic, vibrant, language...

When one abstracts "programming" as far from the particulars of any real
programming language as - I suspect - a project like Rapunsel does - then
implementation language does not seem to have much significance.  Isn't this
one of Pausch's lessons from Alice?

Much of the outcome of the research - it seems to me - depends on issues of
semantics.  What is programming - for example.  Which - BTW - is *not* a
discussion I am hoping to have here.

Personally, I don't think Python *is* in the Alice, Scratch, Rapunsel space
or *belongs* in that space or is competitive in that space.

Which happens to be more than fine with me.