[Edu-sig] Properties use case

ajsiegel at optonline.net ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Mar 18 00:14:37 CET 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Dethe Elza <delza at livingcode.org>
Date: Friday, March 17, 2006 6:08 pm
Subject: Re: [Edu-sig] Properties use case

> Arthur:
> > > Are you a CS type? If so, speak directly.
>
> I'm a CS type (BS in CS, MS in CSEE). Kirby's right, it's generally
> considered "better" to return a new primitive type rather than mutate
> it in place.

What defines a "primitive type". My understanding is that in many languages there
is no complex primitive type.  Perhaps it is a bit less primitive, and that the thinking about, say,
floats does not apply, one-to-one, about thinking about complex numbers.

> And therein I think we have the nub of the frequent Arthur/Kirby
> semi-argument.  My impression is that Kirby often offers suggestions
> and information, and Arthur interprets this as telling him what to do
> and pushes back.  No idea what to do about this, just pointing it out.

How about the rub of the Dethe/Arthur dynamics.  You think I am being a wise guy,
when I think I am being an iniquisitive student - I think.