[Edu-sig] Entering Squeakland

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 22:35:40 CET 2006

> Please Kirby, I am talking physics, not cartoons.  And as much as I
> admire Mr. J. Moose - I try not to confuse the two things.

Awwwww, you're no fun. [Roger Rabbit voice]

> >Yes.  Wittgenstein took the same approach to logic:  yes it's true,
> >but so is 0 = 0.
> >

> Not sure what you mean.  If I sound like I am talking sematically, I
> certainly don't mean to be.  I am thinking literally and  in terms of
> practicalities, even if I am not successful in expressing it as such.
>
> We count the roses in Shakespeares.  Know the exact number.  Now what?

That's some Old Europe stereotype of a computer.  All these threatened
school dons, in front of a chalkboard, worried some big metal box down
the hall will put them out of a job.

Update:  I want to make TV = I want to learn multi-track editing = I
need a computer = if I learn to program, I'll be able to make even
*better* TV -> [back to start of loop]

> "The Proof and Paradox of Kurt Godel"  by Rebecca Goldstein.

At least not the one where Witttgenstein gets menacing next to the
fireplace.  Popperians read that like a ghost story, scare themselves,
whisper about "mean old LW" to their children -- a boogey man.

> circles for a good part of these lives - The Vienna Circle.  Goldstein

Yeah, LW was born into money.  Was living a glam life as a courtly
genius, then gave it all up to go to Oxford, to leave the ordinary
world of Muggles and their ways and join up with Slytherin, headed by
Bertrand Russell.  His Tractatus-Logico-Philosophicus (known as TLP by
insiders) was his young knight-in-shining-armour debut (the women back
in Vienna swooned), then he exited stage right and wasn't heard from
in awhile. Then he returned (surprise!), this time to teach his
Philosophical Investigations, his mysterious PI -- a dark art, with LW
a hooded figure, all Darth Vadery and Jedi, with a penchant light
sabers (er fire pokers).

> Also no question that Einstein and Godel were peers - just by the fact
> they chose to spend so much of their timing hanging out with each other.
> We all need folks to chat with ;)
>
> Art

Yeah, Princeton.  Those were the days.  Now they point to Fine Hall
and say Einstein worked in Fine Hall, but maybe neglect to tell you
Fine Hall moved to Fine Tower since Einstein's day, next to Jadwin.
When I was on campus, Einstein's office was part of Near Eastern
Studies or something.

Anyway, I think Princeton is one of the few Ivy League schools to do
math in a skyscraper (albeit not a very tall one -- tall enough).

True story:  at least one of my friends got help with calculus from
that beautiful mind guy (this was pre the Nobel).  Nash'd materialize
in the corridor, wearing sneakers of two colors, and flutter over to
some wide-eyed scholar, living a dream.  Anyway, he new everything
about calculus reportedly, and much else besides.