[Edu-sig] Python First: Free access for educators

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 19:41:01 CET 2006

Kirby:
> I tend not to use them much (switches), in part because I don't write
> 1970s-style via-menu i/o loops so much as just import the tools I need
> from a namespace and use them directly, i.e. the "switch" statement is
> behind my eyes (one might say)).  That's how I expect others to use my
> modules as well -- no "switch" need apply.

For an example of this approach, check out this recent thread on the
Math Forum.

Some teachers were concerned about finding the center of volume of a
tetrahedron with simple 3-tuple coordinates (all ones and zeros).

I show up with my Python interpreter and start operating a Vector type
as I point to relevant off-screen diagrams and little-known math
facts, involving the fractions 1/3 and 1/4.

It's really a math lecture, with Python interleaved with the chalk and
pretty much replacing the calculator.  Like J or APL, it's another
notation for learning math in.  This is what I call Pythonic
Mathematics.

http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=1343350