[Edu-sig] IDLE wish (was Edu-sig Digest, Vol 31, Issue 16)

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Tue Mar 7 00:48:48 CET 2006

> I am not yet a fan of easy install, and I know I am not alone in that.

I'm still getting used to it as well, and some parts are not finished
yet, but it is clearly the best way forward for installing and
maintaining python packages.

> And there is nothing at all easy about it at the monent, it requiring an install of the
> installer.

Yes.  Here is the "one-line" (split for email) setup_tools installer-installer:

python -c "import urllib; urllib.main()" \
http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py \
| python - -U setuptools

> My point about IDLE not running setup.py is and was exactly to this issue.  I still wish
> I could get some substantive reaction,  I think it important.

I missed the point about IDLE not running setup.py, but I can guess
that running setup.py inside another process could confuse it when it
tries to do dependency analysis to see which files to include.  That
was a problem when I included a setup.py-like script in the same file
as the rest of my code (for one-file distribution).  It caused
distutils to do a dependency analysis on itself and include everything
for distutils in the executable.

--Dethe