[Edu-sig] IDLE wish (was Edu-sig Digest, Vol 31, Issue 16)

ajsiegel at optonline.net ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Mar 3 23:58:20 CET 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Gregor Lingl <glingl at aon.at>
Date: Friday, March 3, 2006 5:23 pm
Subject: Re: [Edu-sig] IDLE wish (was   Edu-sig Digest, Vol 31, Issue 16)

> Arthur schrieb:
>
> Some of them feel, that the module is not adequate for their needs and
> they propose to enhance it. A procedure, done so many times with
> so many
> Python modules. And just in that moment there come two
> protagonists of
> the Pythonic educational scene and state: if you want to amend it,
> thenwe find, that it would be better to delete it completely from the
> standard distribution.

I don't know where you get the idea I propose that it be deleted.

I have stated that I thought that the current module, as it is,  was an appropriate proof
of concept. It would never occur to me that Guido would not put the module he thought
most appropriate in his distribution. He has always struck me as a bit of a perfectionsit.
Clearly it is not a matter of what level of implementation he is capable of.

So No.  I am not proposing any change to the status quo.  That would require a PEP ;)

Also I haven't heard Kirby say anything one way or another about the issue of what he thinks
should or should not be done with turtle.py in the standard distribution.  So I don't know how
he got dragged into this.

Among other things, I am being sensitive to the fact that the turle graphics ideas - whether
I am attracked to those ideas or not - have a long history and identification with Logo and its
living, breathing community. And exactly nothing in particular to do with Python.

Perhaps I am too much of a boyscout, but it certainly would not be *my* style to include a
wonderful, beautiful, and complete implementation of it in the standard distribution in such a
way that the connection of the ideas it embodies to Python and its developers can and certainly
*will* in some number of cases be misunderstood.

But that, I guess, is me.

I would love to be liked by all, but it is most important to me that I be liked by me.

*I* have no question that the questions I am raising are worth raising, while at the same time
wishing I needn't be the one to raise them - if there are to get raised at all.

Art