[Edu-sig] Edu-sig Digest, Vol 31, Issue 16

Thu Mar 2 22:57:59 CET 2006

kirby urner wrote:
> Why is Logo out of date?  Use it for 3 classes (?) to set the stage, get
> through with the turtle stuff, then turn to Python or something else.  This
> idea that we should pick just one language and use it for everything,
> regardless, is to be avoided.  That's not the real world.

This is important.  One of the most successful parts of my computer
education was early on (the second year I'd programmed a computer)
learning a language a week for the summer.  Tough course, but after
that, a new language didn't (and doesn't) scare me, as it does most
mono-lingual students.  I feel I got a much better idea of what, in
general, programming was from learning wildly disparate languages.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org