[Edu-sig] Edu-sig Digest, Vol 32, Issue 2

Toby Donaldson tjd at sfu.ca
Wed Mar 1 06:24:06 CET 2006

> I want to get an improved, backward compatible patch into the standard
> package fairly soon, so over the next few days I will see if I can't
> come up with something that covers most of the ideas suggested here,
> including Gregor's libraries to some extent. I will of course post it
> for comments/testing before I send it along.

I volunteer to help add doc-strings (with examples) to the code if you
would like such assistance.

> I would also suggest that those of us who are interested in turtle
> graphics consider what we want (even IF we want) in an extended turtle
> package as well, and how much we would want to push for its inclusion in
> the standard libraries.
>
> My sense is that some of us will be fine if the basic turtle.py is
> usable, but others will really want more. Figuring out the "what" and
> "how much" may take some time. Certainly Gregor's Xturtle package will
> give us some direction in thinking about it.

One other source of ideas for graphics beyond turtles is the ACM Java
Task Force, which has just released a new version of the proposed acm
package: http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~eroberts//jtf/

Creating standard educational libraries like this for Python could be
a real boon.

Toby