[Edu-sig] Alan Kay - another one of his ideas

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 20:38:50 CEST 2006

On 7/12/06, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
[snip]

> To get back to the Logowiki starting point, the main idea of Logowiki is
> to give people an example for what it *could* mean to include this kind
> of dynamic content in browser. The way I understand it, Crunchy Frog
> seems to be aimed very much in the same direction.

Yes, Crunchy Frog is aimed in the same direction.

I must say that I have been 1) impressed by what the Logowiki does and
2) very disappointed by the lack of obvious way of getting access to
its source.  While it is not nearly as polished and it does not
benefit from building upon existing resources (for Logo like Logowiki
does), by contrast Crunchy Frog not only has its source openly
available, but it has also been from the start accompanied by a "user
guide" that included tutorials on how to use it to create personalized
interactive tutorials.  My goal is to try and lower the barrier for
others to contribute.  When I look at Logowiki, I think "this is
fantastic..." ... and then get the impression that its purpose is just
to amaze me in such a way - like some closed source applications do.
(This assessment is perhaps slightly unfair, but it is the impression
left with me.)

André