[Edu-sig] Python-Only Moodle?

Adam Cripps kabads at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 12:47:17 CET 2006

On 1/28/06, Dethe Elza <delza at livingcode.org> wrote:
> I have a server that I'd be willing to use to host a Python moodle.
> Do you want me to set it up, or would you rather I give you access?
>
> It's livingcode.org (pardon the front page, I'm in the process of
> building a new one) and it's a dreamhosts site, so it's got PHP,
> MySQL, python, and lots of other goodies built in.
>
> --Dethe
>
> On 27-Jan-06, at 8:12 PM, kirby urner wrote:
>
> > Here's an idea.  Given a lot of us teach Python, plan to, or have
> > ideas for
> > doing so, if we had shared access to a Python Moodle someplace, we
> > could
> > develop open source courseware, either as individuals or in teams.
> >
> > The Algebra with Python stuff I'm doing could be cloned to the new
> > site.
> > I'm pretty sure the backup zip I'm able to create through the
> > interface,
> > will restore to another Moodle.  I could easily transfer the
> > content in that
> > case.  Others could roll their own.
> >
> > Seems like a good idea (didn't someone already propose this?).  I'm
> > sure
> > there are plenty of alternatives to Moodle, but so far it seems like a
> > pretty workable solution to a problem.  It's more vertical market than
> > Plone, i.e. is built from the ground up with distance education
> > courseware
> > in mind.
> >
> > I don't have the server or the time to get a Moodle up and
> > running.  But if
> > someone in the Python community does, and wants to use edu-sig as a
> > staging
> > ground and talent pool, I bet we could go places with it.  Lots of new
> > tutorials, useless python and vaults of parnassus type stuff could
> > be recast
> > in a more distance education friendly format.
> >
> > Kirby
> > 4D/OCN

I'd be interested in this - although my focus would be 10 and 11 year
olds - although this isn't limiting people to a particular course
according to their age.

My aim would be to develop some materials collaboratively - can moodle
also fulfill this (or am I the only one who needs this)?

Adam
(using different email account)
--
http://www.monkeez.org