[Edu-sig] Introduction to object and "dot" notation: feedback wanted

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 01:04:05 CET 2006

Just a quick note of approval re use of Dog class.  You might want to
lowercase fido, or not.  I'm used to reserving capitals for the class
definition, keeping all instances lower, but of course there's nothing much
beyond taste to influence such decisions about style.

Perhaps more should be included in standard CS readings about coding style
in general -- like, some coders prefer variable width fonts in their text
editor, whereas I'm an old school fixed width coder.

Plus I support your approach of focusing on dot notation as a critical step
(my approach as well).

I favor a first pass using existing Python objects, already dot-ready (e.g.
lists and dictionaries), then an interlude defining functions, using the
learned collection types, then back to dot notation again, but this time
rolling your own classes (with metaclasses in some future pass).

Possible mnemonic:  yourdot-funk-mydot.