[Edu-sig] Python Powertoy ;)

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sun Jan 15 19:35:35 CET 2006

The relevance is a little Microsoft bashing which I think is always
useful in the context of education, and some "why learn to program" from
a personal frame of reference.

The motive is really just some show-and-tell.

Trying to finalize a  website for a  PyGeo release I  had decided that
I would rather show some sequences of Povray rendering of PyGeo
animations as sequence of stills than as an animated gif.

Google on "html  slideshow"  and find that  a "HTML Slide Show Wizard"
is among the  WindowsXP "powertoys" at

The wizard is just that - and  one lives with its output - backgrounds,
arrow placements, etc..  And what it is doing is so simplistic that it
is quite funny that it would be among the "powertoys".  But Microsoft
counts on a certain kind of audience for its wizardry.

Attached is a small Python script with more functionality than the XP
powertoy.

Sample of slideshow is at:

http://pygeo.sourceforge.net/slideshows/multiply_html/1.html

Whether the slideshow idea works for this purpose being another matter.

Art

.