[Edu-sig] OLPC (was FYI: PataPata postmortem link)

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Tue Dec 5 16:39:03 CET 2006

Kevin Driscoll wrote:

>Don't sweat the gatekeepers, nor their philosophical leanings.
>Deploy your skills at teaching with Python.
>
>Students who discover your code will benefit.  Teachers who discover
>your code will benefit.
>
>Kevin

Either its infrastructure will be designed to allow easy uninstall and
install, so that the decisionmaking will ultimately be where it belongs
- in Caracas or in the bush, as the case may be.

Or it will not be.

I suspect the latter, since a piece of hardware to be used as
appropriate as decided by the people in whose hands it rests, tends not
to have philosophical leaning.

But the people closest to OLPC seem to say that the OLPC does, and should.

Don't sweat OLPC, period, is where I come down..

So I think perhaps we do have a  nuanced disagreement.