[Edu-sig] OLPC (was FYI: PataPata postmortem link)

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Fri Dec 1 01:31:40 CET 2006

On 29-Nov-06, at 4:45 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Would you agree that the software (and not the greenish toy-like
> hardware) would make all the difference between that little machine
> being a toy and it being a serious platform for education? Why, then,
> are so few folks working on actual educational software for it? So
> far, you can count the specifically educational activities on the
> OLPC on one hand. Even if you lost most fingers.

I'd love to write software for the OLPC, but I don't have one
available.  The virtual version is distributed as a VMWare image,
which is great as far as it goes.  The VMWare player hasn't been
ported to my computer yet (Mac Intel) and the image doesn't load in
Parallels (the VM I use for running Windows for testing).  I've
signed up for the beta program with VMWare, but haven't heard back
from them.  So unless I want to spend several hundred dollars on a
computer to run a simulation of the $100 laptop, I'm out of the running.

I'm sure when the simulator (and the real thing) get into more hands
you will start to see more software for it.

--Dethe

Young children play in a way that is strikingly similar to the way
scientists work --Busytown News